Thursday, November 28, 2013

Fan Controller reloaded II

So here is the continuation of the previous chapter, the saga for a nice product.

Final version:

The eagle eyed among you might notice some small changes. Nothing major.
The ones really paying attention might notice the mistakes: DS18B20 is one wire, not I2C, as is indicated (cosmetics), and the silkscreen for the 12V and the 5V regulators is inverted (cosmetics with high potential for disaster). The soldering holes for the screw connectors could also be a tiny bit bigger, but that depends on the connectors used (could be problematic, as I used some big ones).

I only noticed these mistakes after the boards arrived, luckily before soldering the regulators, so no harm done!

but, following the intense design sessions, I sent it out to be manufactured by Fritzing, and the boards arrived, a bit more than a week later! Great service is all I can say. Here they are in all their glory:

 I really think they came out amazing!

And here in the box, with some components located, not soldered yet:

And finally, in the box, with the components (attiny is missing):

In the third chapter, the completed thing, with screws, micro, lid, everything! and some considerations for improvements.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fan Controller reloaded

I've been busy redoing my fan controller, and now, that I'm about to post about it, I just realize that I never presented the previous work finished, so here's a picture of the prototype:

So there it is. I especially bought those little orange and gray connectors to try out for this project.

It had been working fine for one year, but the power supply that comes with the radiator is in a DIN rail format, so I have been wanting to find a DIN rail enclosure, and make a PCB to put inside it.

I found a nice box in Conrad, and proceeded to make a shield for a JeeNode, that would fit the box. I decided to use Fritzing, to try out the manufacturing service.

1st attempt:

Great! only to realise, that the JeeNode on top of this would cover the access to the screws of the connectors. Not to mention, that the box had some mechanical constraints.

2nd attempt:

Notice that I have completely replaced the JeeNode by a Attiny of 8 pins. I decided I do not need statistics on this. So it is now a fully standalone micro-controlled controller.
notice also the mounting holes in the middle, and a big hole for a big plastic column in the box (pictures will follow). Time to print the thing and check that it fits.

3rd attempt:
Of course things didn't really fit, so I had to shift a few things around. I also decided to add some connectors to make the whole thing tidier. This is almost it! 

In the next post I'll put some pictures of the final product: beautiful boards, made in Berlin! and the assembled thing.