Wednesday, October 9, 2013

CF to SATA adapter fix

Some time ago, I bought a motherboard (ASUS AT3IONT-i) and a large disk for a project I had in mind. It was the first SATA disk I ever bought, so I was curious as to how that worked.

Plugged it all, and the disk did not work...never got recognised. Strange.

After a lot of investigation, and blaming it on the disk, I remembered I had a CF to SATA adapter lying around bought in a trip to Taipei's electronics area, so decided to give that a try, to rule out the disk.

As I plugged it in, smoke! from one of the regulators. Very strange. Upon some quick investigation, I found out that the 5V and the 12V lines on the power cable were switched, the one that came with the Motherboard. I was upset and thinking of how would they look at me in the shop if I show up with such an argument, that the lines in the cable are switched.

But it was late at night, and I wanted to get it done, so I just disassembled the cable and reassembled it properly. Unfortunately, no pictures of that. All was well afterwards! Except for the adapter that was burned.

So last time I ordered something from Conrad, I remembered that, and ordered some regulators of the same kind. Tonight I did the switch! exciting, as they are SMD components, but it went much easier than expected! Here are some photos:


Burned regulator, AMS1117-3.3


 Regulator removed


New regulator in place!

Now the adapter will go into the black hole of computer components, never to be used again! but at least it is fixed!

No comments: